I am perservereing with this costume as I am getting closer to the decoration, which I'm really looking forward too.
I have finished layering the skirt and chose to level straight instead of ragged as I'm not entirely sure how its done propperly and would rather wait until I go back to Uni in October and ask the expert.
I have decided that the top layer will be cut into, however. This is because I want to expose the layers underneath and also because I found the chiffon hard to level straight and it is wonky in places. Also I noticed that even though I have barely touched it it already looks crumpled snagged and dirty in places! How, I have no idea, but its fast pitting me off as a fabric to use again in a hurry, I'll stick to net in the future.
In fact, part of the reason for using all different fabrics for each of the layes, was purely to see how they worked and handled in the tutu so that I build up a good knowledge of what is good and easy to work with and what is more of a struggle, which will keep informing my further choices in subsequent makes.
The chiffon was a pain, and shows any marks very easily, not good when sweating in performance, also i think after a few wears and catches/ snagging, it will look a mess- luckily though I have elected to chop away a lot of this layer.
I also had a chance to start playing with textiles in creating my decoration. I wanted to copy some techniques I have seen online on other ballet costumes so I printed off a line drawing of an ivy leaf; this costume deffinitely speaks dark forest to me so ivy seemed a good choice, and then cut out a backing and light wadding layer and appliqued on the top fabric. I tried glitter glue, gold leaf, expanding fabric paint, stitching and beading as well as metallic fabric paint to see the results (not all photographed) and some were good, and some were awful, but trial and error and all that.
I'm still not completely happy, they need to look delicate and not arts and craft and I'm not sure if there there yet. The bodice leaves will need to be at least half the size in the contrasting rusty colour to be delicate enough- I also have lots of beading to do on the bodice as well as the obligatory swarovski crystals. But this will all come as samples first.
Once I have chopped the top skirt and zig zag stitched the edges of the two chiffon layers to stop fraying then i will attach the skirt and bodice, ready for the decorating.
I can see the end, and its looking good, can't wait to get this costume on Sarah and get some good shots, I still have to think about a crystal tiara to match in and find a shoot location.
Busy, busy, busy.
That, and I'm already itching to start the next one.