Tuesday, 24 April 2012

In the end it all comes down to pink and sparkles

Okay, deviating slightly from my large workload to whip together my take on Disney's Rapunzel dress. I say my interpretation because the materials had to be sourced from my local shop as I don't have time to fuss around with ordering and it needs to be quick and cheap. In the end I went for some acetate satin in pink and lilac, some sparkly pink organza and some ribbons and lace.

Here it is all laid out.

 I am making the pattern myself, so as a nod to the ballet tutu I used exactly the same shape to make the skirt except there will only be a waistband and no basque, 5 panels for the satin and 7 for the organza. Shown here pre-overlocking and pre-gathering so the organza is not sitting right on top of the satin as it will do when gathered, also the mannequin is bigger than my daughter.
So far I'm not happy with the french seams used to join the panels of organza- to keep it all flat I decided to top stitched the seam down as well, which has left some pink 'stripes' on the top skirt. I will cover with lilac ribbon to combat this, baring in mind this is a speedy operation.

Next I will be looking at the basque and sleeves but this will have to wait for now as I'm making this up in my 'free time' which is a bit sparse currently.

Finally, an artists impression of the Disney character wearing the dress to give the general idea- it's times like this that makes me wish I had a grands worth of an embriodery machine sitting in my work room(<sigh>).

No comments:

Post a Comment